My girls

My girls
Grace getting to hold her sisters hand for the first time.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Carousel Lap Quilt 1.

Today I began sewing on a quilt I have been wanting to do for a long time. About a year ago with Quaker Town closed it doors here in Friendswood, I jumped at the sales and bought a TON of fabric for 60-70% off. Moda fabric, Robert Kaufman and more. I had intended this to be for Grace, but my husbands Aunt came over one day with a Robert Kaufman botanical fat quarter pack. That bundle just spoke to me and I knew it was fit for the quilt I have been wanting to put together.  

This will be my first quilt with so many pieces.  I think so far I have cut around 200 pieces. But I did get a lot done today. Started on the 31 blocks. I really like the colors. Yes it has orange in it, but not a TON of orange.

Here is what my quilt will look like. I love it it plays on your eyes.










 My fabric choices. I think they are perfect for this quilt. One things that I love, I mean LOVE about fat quarters is that they designer of the fabric put a lot of thought into how the fabrics go together and plus makes the matching of fabric just a tad easier for me.
 


The cutting begins. First I had to cut 63 squares that where 6 1/2 by 8 1/2 My fat quarters were perfect for this. My overage on each one was just over 2". I will be saving that for my binding. Thinking I will want a funky binding using this left over scraps from each fat quarter. 

Next I cut 116, well more to be safe, 1 1/2" by 8 1/2" for the lattice pieces. Here I am in the process of making 31 blocks. Each has a lattice piece on both long sides.

That was all for tonight. Tomorrow I plan to finish sewing the lattice pieces to make the 31 blocks. Then I will begin assembling the rows. That is where the magic of this pattern takes place.


No comments:

Post a Comment